Thursday, January 14, 2016

Let's Talk: Gathering Darkness

Title: Gathering Darkness
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: "Falling Kingdoms" series
Publication Date: December 9, 2014
Date Started: January 10, 2016
Date Finished: January 13, 2016
Rating: 5/5 stars

*Semi-spoiler free review...aka there will be tiny or barely-there spoilers*

Okay, so these books just keep getting better and better as they go on. Evidence being that Falling Kingdoms did not hook me as much as this book did. Everything changed so much, and I loved it. And the ending! Freaking heck (I censored it)!

Let's start with characters for this one...
CLEO: I just love Cleo more and more the longer I read her. She's growing into such an amazing character and taking risks. She's not perfect and she's not strong 100% of the time, which I think is sometimes rare with female protagonists. I'm very excited to see how she continues in the next books, especially her relationship with a certain someone (if you've read it, you know who I'm talking 'bout).

MAGNUS: Well, Magnus surprised me a couple times in this book, which was fantastic. Usually I can predict what Magnus is going to do based on past actions and his POV thoughts, but he still surprised me a couple of times--which I LOVED! Honestly, just like with Cleo, his character grew into amazing things. I'm nervous and excited to see how he continues on in the next book (especially with a certain someone).

JONAS: Literally perfect. I'm so glad he's made it this far (there's been a few close calls). He, like the others, is growing into something amazing. I'm loving his attitude and thoughts so much, it's not even able to be described. And I'm excited to see his relationship with a special someone grow (or lessen?). Not sure--I'm kind of torn. 

LUCIA: Wow, Lucia. What can I say? JUST LIKE THE OTHERS, she is growing and arcing and it's beautiful. In this book there were a few times where my heart bled for her, and then others where I was like "bitch what you doin'?" No joke, guys. The ending of this book made my heart break for her, but I can't say I'm surprised by what she did after that. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Now onto other things. A few side characters (Ashur, Nic, Lysandra, Alexius, etc) made me feel so much! I'm so into these characters in this series! And I'm constantly scared that the next page will have them murdered! That seems to be a constant theme in this series!

The writing continues to impress me very much. The world-building and intricate backstories and how everything is tying together is just mind-boggling. I'm blown away by every twist and turn and unexpected thing that happens. Kudos to Morgan Rhodes.

One good thing is that these aren't left at big huge cliffhangers, but smaller ones that I can wait on. I like this.

That is all I have to say for today. I am not going straight into Frozen Tides because I have a lot of books I want to read besides this series and I need to decompress. Plus, if the next one ends at a cliffhanger I'd have to wait until December for the next. And I can't do that. Check out my 'Currently Reading' section to the right if you want to know more about the book I'm currently on.

~

Thanks for reading
xoxo
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment