Sunday, March 6, 2016

Let's Talk: The Love That Split The World

Title: The Love That Split the World
Author: Emily Henry
Series: N/A
Genre: YA Sci-Fi Romance
Page Length: 390 pages
Publication Date: January 26, 2016
Date Started: March 1, 2016
Date Finished: March 4, 2016
Rating: 3/5 stars

*Semi-spoiler free review*

To be blunt, I was a tad disappointed by this book. I expected it to be a lot more interesting and involve the love more than it did.

A lot of it was on the basis of hallucinations and how some trauma can open a wormhole that leads to alternate realities, or something along those lines. It was rather interesting, but sometimes it was explained in a very long, very verbose, and very repetitive way that made it hard to fully comprehend. The author tried explaining it but then went back and said "let me make it simpler" and explained it again but in a different way. It was a little confusing.

What I thought was really cool was the way that she explained the alternate realities and Natalie/Beau's worlds and why some things were the way they were. It was a little bit of a "woh!" moment for me. And I wasn't really expecting it. And when it was revealed who Grandmother was?! Blew my mind!

I thought the incorporation of Native American stories was really interesting and a little bit surprising for me. I definitely wasn't expecting Native American stories in a Sci-Fi novel, so it was a nice refreshing twist. They were pretty cool as well. 

This book was more of a magical realism than a sci-fi, in my opinion. And the romance kind of took a backburner to what was going on inside the main character, which I was slightly disappointed in. The characters who weren't Natalie fell a little flat for me, which was sad because I love super-romances. And the romance was a bit of an insta-love as well, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case, but I see a lot of insta-loves that it would be refreshing to get a few more novels that didn't have it. 

I did enjoy this book, but not as much as I hoped. I am still in love with the cover, but the book itself was a little disappointing from the excitement I had leading in.

~

Thanks for reading
xoxo
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment