Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Let's Talk: Throne of Glass

Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: "Throne of Glass" #1
Genre: YA High-Fantasy
Page Length: 404 pages
Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Date Started: June 5, 2016
Date Finished: June 30, 2016
Rating: Infinity

RE-READ
*Semi-spoiler free review*

ToG is my favorite book series of all time, by my favorite author of all time, and it was a real treat to sit back and savor reading this book. I didn't have to read it fast and I could read it at my own pace. I took it to France and read it a little while I was there. ToG will be a part of the memory of that trip now, making it even more special to me.

I love these characters. Celaena is so freaking badass and snarky, which is one of the reasons I love her so much. She's different than a lot of YA characters because she can survive on her own for the most part. She doesn't need someone babying her or doing everything for her. She also has such strong willpower. I certainly wouldn't be able to keep running day after day when my lungs feel like lead and I'm throwing my guts up. At the same time, she's a realistic character. She has nightmares. She has realistic problems mixed in with the magic and competitions. She makes mistakes, she's not perfect, but that's what makes her such an amazing YA character.

I enjoyed the male characters as well. Chaol and Dorian are hilarious. Chaol got on my nerves at the beginning only because he treated Celaena like a criminal--which she is. Looking back at how naive I was I completely understand Chaol in this book. His character arc is quite awesome to read because he goes from hating her and not caring about her dying to whatever-the-hell his feelings are at the end. He's one of my favorite characters, but then again, pretty much everyone in the main character spectrum are my favorite characters.

Dorian was funny and witty and he loves to read. That's the way to my heart, finding a guy that I can talk about reading with--or he at least listens to me talk about reading. He captured me from his first line and kept my heart in his grip the whole book. Man, my feels were all over the place.

The magic that was subtly woven into the first half of the novel was brilliant because in the second half it's BAM! Magic has been a part of ALL of this and caused so much. It didn't take the center stage, like some high-fantasy novels do. Speaking of, everything went together well, like pieces of a puzzle. Nothing took center-stage, really, which was nice. This book didn't focus on romance. It didn't focus on magic. It didn't focus on the competition much more than the others. Everything fit together perfectly, all leading up to the final showdown and climax.

I will always love this book and this series. It is a series that I recommend with all of my heart. I cannot wait to continue on and finally get the 5th book when it releases in September.

~

Thanks for reading
xoxo
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment