Sunday, October 7, 2018

Let's Talk: "Six of Crows" by Leigh Bardugo *Updated Review*

Title: Six of Crows 
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: "Six of Crows" Duology #1
Genre: YA High Fantasy
Page Length: 465 pages
Publication Date: September 29, 2015
Date Started: September 30, 2018
Date Finished: October 6, 2018
Rating: 4/5 stars

This was my second time reading this book, actually. Since my feelings have changed from the first review I wrote, I thought I'd go ahead and write an updated review. Also, I feel as if I should preface this review with the disclaimer that I reread this book for my writing class. While I've been wanting to reread it for a while, I had to force myself to read this one right now even though I wasn't 100% wanting to in order to do a group presentation on it. Therefore, my experience reading this book, and, in turn, my thoughts on it, were a little bit skewed from having to force myself to read it instead of taking my time and waiting for the right moment.

That being said, I didn't love this book. I enjoyed reading it and it's been so long since the first time I read it that there were plenty of parts that I had forgotten about and shocked me. I didn't love it, but I liked it. I have plans to read the sequel and I did enjoy it a lot more than the first time I read it at the beginning of 2016. I still probably would have enjoyed it more had I read it on my own terms, but we're past that now.

Overall, like I said, I enjoyed this book. There were definitely times where I thought that the plot was slow or the pace was lacking. Mostly this was when the crew was planning their heist and traveling. By the end, the pace had picked up and I actually blew through the last 150-200 pages, which was a surprise to me.

What I liked most about this was that, since it had been so long since the first time I read it, I had forgotten pretty much everything about this book except the ending and was able to read it with fresh eyes. Like, I didn't even remember the names of all the main characters. That made this reading experience so much more fun than a typical reread.

The story was interesting, the writing was pretty good, and the characters were hilarious. The first time around I didn't realize how funny these characters and their interactions are. I love Jesper and I would literally die for him. I cannot wait to see more interactions between him and Wylan.

I am excited to go into the next book, although I don't know when that will be. It's probably won't be by the end of this year since my TBR is so packed, but that's okay because I can always bring it with me next semester.

So, yes, overall I enjoyed this book more the second time around but I wish that it would have been on my own terms since I wasn't in a SoC mood when I read this book. Still, I loved the characters and the plot is intriguing enough to have me coming back for more.



Thanks for reading!
xoxo
Lauren



Follow my Instagram here. New giveaway will be posted very soon!

Get 10% off your first order, plus 50 rewards points, when you use this link to purchase a personal aromatherapy diffuser from Monq

Get 10% off your first order on A Court of Candles when you use this link.

Subscribe to Owlcrate using this link and get a discount off your first box using AVIREADS

Get free worldwide shipping with Book Depository using my affiliate link


No comments:

Post a Comment